View Single Post
Old 20th July 2013, 15:13   #52  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
All of that could be achieved by my suggested modification of the new subtitle header. Media players who prefer your suggested behaviour would simply have to call "EnableSubtitleAutoLoading(false)" before building the graph.

The problem with following your suggestion by default is that auto-loading would stop working for every single media player out there, until they manually add support for it. And that is a situation I don't like at all. If a media player is willing to add support for the new subtitle interface, then it should be easy for the media player to call "EnableSubtitleAutoLoading(false)" before building the graph. And that would fulfil most (all?) of your wishes.
The players that are currently capable of using madVR (the only existing consumer atm) will all have to deal with the new situation one way or another. Most have an ISR and/or smart graph building. They all should have situations in which they need to block the interface to prevent handling subs twice.

Opt-out:
[-] Players might show subs twice until player is capable of blocking the use of the interface.

Opt-in:
[+] Simpler interface.
[-] Player can't use the interface until it adds support for loading a provider.

I don't expect much problems getting the players to implement the loading functionality. XySubFilter is still in early beta stage, so there is plenty of time. MPC-HC and MPC-BE will be able to add it very quickly. PotPlayer and KMPlayer will no doubt 'borrow' that code as they usually do. The ZoomPlayer dev (Blight) is Doom9 member, so I expect no problems there either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Adding a video input pin to XySubFilter is a bad idea, IMHO, because it wouldn't be used for any purpose (other than to get loaded), and it would add complication to XySubFilter development, and maybe harm DXVA decoding compatability.
I wasn't suggesting to add a video pin. I think you misunderstood/misread.
The MERIT_DO_NOT_USE idea is for the subtitle pin. To prevent it from loading itself for embedded subs.