View Single Post
Old 20th April 2012, 03:36   #15006  |  Link
RobertM

Quote:
Is there a way we can "make" BD-RB allocate space better
The problem is that the actual size after re-encoding cannot be known until the re-encode is complete. Any attempt to calculate the final size before-hand is just an estimate, so you have to leave a little extra headroom or lots of rebuilds would end up being too large to fit on a BD-25. My BD-25 rebuilds end up filling 96% to 97% of the disc, using the default BD-25 target size. I feel that this is close enough to not worry about it.

But you can modify this yourself. Just don't use the standard BD-25 target size; use a custom size instead. I believe that the standard size is 23.5 GB, so you could try 24 GB and see what happens. In my case, I have not seen anything over 97%, so if I used a custom size of 24GB then I might expect a final result around 97% x 24/23.5, or 99.06%. Hmm.... maybe I'll actually give this a try and see what happens.

The only real downside of doing this is that you increase the chances of getting the occasional rebuild that is too big, and you'll have to repeat the rebuild with a smaller target size. Not a big problem, as long as you remember why the oversize is happening.

[EDIT]Caps beat me to the response[/EDIT]
RobertM is offline   Reply With Quote