View Single Post
Old 30th April 2020, 21:13   #5  |  Link
kempodragon

Results of encoding for VR

I decided to take the plunge, and made a full SBS, 1080p encode of the movie "Dredd", the one with Karl Urban, since it has many scenes that are a good test for 3d. I used the default bitrate and encoded to x264 using two pass. The file came out to just over 6 gigs with no errors. I then used Skybox to stream it from my main system to my Quest. The only problems I encountered was I had to manually set the AR, and for some reason several subtitles had the left side cut off. Otherwise, the 3d effect was gorgeous!!! All scenes were crisp and clear, and since each eye sees only one image, there is no "crosstalk" or other problems inherent in other methods.
Since 3d tv's are no longer being produced, HMD are really the only option for watching 3d now. Granted, you can't stream directly from a blu-ray player, but I figure it's only a matter of time before some one solves that problem as well.
I have only one feature request, that you make it work with Ripbot, because it is the only program that uses the full power of a multi-core machine.

Last edited by kempodragon; 30th April 2020 at 21:20.
kempodragon is offline   Reply With Quote