View Single Post
Old 12th April 2010, 00:56   #10  |  Link
OvejaNegra
ekTOMBE STUDIOS

osgZach:
I havent tested your samples, but there are animes with banding, i dont know why but it happens.
GradFun2DBMod should put grain on those banded areas, yes you need a higgher bit rate or x264 will eat the grain again.

By the way (maybe you dont know this):
VDUB will convert yoyr source to RGB if you use full processing mode and the codec will re-convert to YV12 during encoding (in case you are encoding with xvid / divx / etc on vdub).

Go to the options menu / preferences -> output color depth: is on fastest 16 bit? because if it is, THATS the cause of your banding.
you should put 24 bit or match display depth

Maybe you know this but maybe not, but you mention you are using VDUB and maybe you should check this.

And, if you eat your grain with FFTxxx or vaguedenoiser or any good spatial filter, well you always will have banding.
The mpeg2 encoders have dithering for make the color conversions (like CCE, i dont know the modern versions, but the old SP has it).
Try a temporal filter to calm the grain on the static surfaces like ttempsmotth (the only one who gave me a good looking Kanokon).
I can send you samples if you like it, there is one scene on episode one that you can use to test your anti-banding strategy and find the best filter to your needs

Good luck
Please check VDUB settings