Thread: equipment
View Single Post
Old 29th July 2003, 22:16   #2  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
I'm going to build a moderately priced system just for ripping svcd's.
I assume you meant ripping DVDs, right?

All this is just IMHO (and some hardly gained experience )

MB's, processors: Any good stantard PC would do. Even an entry level system (Celeron 1.x and up). MB brands as you prefer. Look at Tom's latest reviews for models.

RAM: 512 DDR (256 would do, but 512 is significantly better, if you have the extra bucks, they are best spent in good and fast RAM).

HDD: Anyone supporting UDMA (100 minimum). If you can get a 7200 rpm, better that a 5400. You can go for SCSI but I think again money is better spent on RAM (and CPU if you have some leftovers).

Video/Sound card: If ripping to watch on your TV, not really important. Put some money here if you want to do 3D gaming, else you can even use integrated chips.

OS: XP, "most stable MicroSoft monster", and with good software availability.

DVD unit: not particularly important specs. Get a good brand. I'd not go for combos (DVD/CDWR), personally, but they may save you an IDE port.

Hope this helps.

PS: I suggest you use a better thread name, like "Specs for a useful ripping PC system".
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote