View Single Post
Old 9th November 2011, 21:30   #10769  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
What's the current recommendation for video playback hardware with MadVR? I currently have an ATI 5450 and older Intel 6600 dual core CPU, this is good enough for the majority of material (mainly HD), only the highest bitrate stuff causes some drops. I'm looking to build a 2nd HTPC for another display and thinking of re-using the 5450 there and upgrading the main HTPC in the theater room. Seems like both ATI and nVidia have pluses and minuses (as always). Are any of the new integrated Intel graphics worthy of consideration? Running Win7, and mostly HD material, not even sure MadVR is really needed, but I do like to go for the best solution even if it's not something I can really notice. :-) Thanks for any advice.
If you can wait, I'd suggest to wait for the new 28nm GPUs coming out early 2012. They should significantly improve the power per watt ratio.

As to ATI vs. Nvidia, that's really a tough decision. NVidia seems to have big problems with presentation glitches in exclusive mode. ATI doesn't seem to have that problem, but then ATI has problems on its own. So it's really hard to decide...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremor View Post
I just managed to reproduce the disappearing subtitles multiple times, sadly I only tested windowed mode there.

After restarting the player to also test fullscreen exclusive mode I couldn't reproduce it any more (neither windowed nor exclusive). The only thing I could think of that was different the first time is that Reclock was still doing its measurements (red/green switching icon). But why should Reclock cause the subtitles to disappear? Maybe the bug happens just extremly random.
Still can't reproduce it here.

Quote:
Although I found one thing: The subtitles disappear in fullscreen exclusive mode as soon as the seek bar is shown. But I assume this is by design like with shown stats?
Yes.

Quote:
But they are all done with the files from here, do these work for you?
Sure, I've been testing with those, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
is it ok to set the following options as enabled in the Video Settings for ATI cards: Use automatic deinterlacing and Pulldown detection
Yes, these are recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
I can reproduce this problem. In my testing, subtitle will disappear in a short time when paused for the first time since seeking. Next pauses will be fine.
Ok, tried that, but doesn't happen for me. I can seek and pause, subtitles stay. Using MPC-HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterNobody View Post
Any ideas why this sample displayed with green bar at the bottom with default MadVR settings until I enable "use managed upload textures (XP only)"?
This doesn't happen on my PC. Also MPC-HC, XPSP3, but ATI 6850. It *could* be an NVidia driver issue. But then why does it not happen with the internal madVR decoder? That's really weird. Maybe nevcairiel can have a look at that? He's on Nvidia, but I don't think he uses XP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettH View Post
How do you read the Decoder Queue, Upload Queue, Render Queue, and Present Queue in the statistics?
You open your eyes and read the white text at the top left of the screen, after having pressed Ctrl+J...

Ok, seriously. madVR has several queues where it stores frames that were already decoded, uploaded to GPU RAM, fully rendered and dithered to output resolution etc and passed on to Direct3D for presentation. Ideally, all queues should be full.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
I found out why I thought 0-255 was the correct setting, it seems whatever is set on the AMD control panel will be the "correct" setting when I open MPC-HC. If I open it while I got 0-255 already set, that will be correct, and changing to 16-235 while the video is playing will get me gray blacks, and vice versa. Still using 11.10 drivers, haven't tried rolling back or switching to NV yet.
Haha. Yes, that's true. madVR analyzes the GPU behaviour once during madVR startup (so you don't have to restart the media player, just reloading the video should do the trick). If you change the GPU driver settings while madVR is already loaded, madVR will not adjust to that, until the madVR instance is destroyed and recreated.

Quote:
I've aborted my deinterlacing tests for now because it seems that 0.78 broke windowed mode for me, even with progressive video.

The files 3, 4, 5 and 6 from here and the "WipEout HD Trailer" (MKV, H.264, 1080p59, 170 MB) and "Devil May Cry Gameplay" (WMV, VC-1, 1080p59, 266 MB) for which I can't find download links right now give me many dropped and delayed frames each second in windowed mode. Going back to madVR 0.77 and everything is fine again. Fullscreen exclusive mode works fine in both versions.

All files are correctly identified as progressive. Also disabling deinterlacing in the settings has no affect.
The only thing that they have in common is a frame rate of 59 fps. Maybe the new version has problems with that high frame rates?
The only thing that comes to my mind right now is that maybe your GPU is downclocking with v0.78 but not with v0.77? I don't know why it should. But then I don't understand what else could be going on. Your render queue is the problem, so it seems that your GPU isn't rendering fast enough. Which is weird, since your GPU should be plenty fast enough.

If you're sure that the GPU clock is ok then please create a short log with v0.77 (no frame drops) and one with v0.78 (frame drops). Maybe 20 seconds of playback each. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
I've also seen the same thing with a Nvidia 465. I've also had this same problem using LAV CUVID with earlier madVR versions. Everything is OK in full-screen exclusive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwelcha View Post
Have the same problem, in windows mode, every video file drops frames constantly, in Exclusive mode almost none.
"the same thing/problem" is rather relative. It could mean something totally different to you than it might mean to me. Could you please describe exactly which problem you have? Having smooth playback in exclusive mode while you have problems in windowed mode is not usual in itself. There's a reason why I implemented exclusive mode, after all. The key question for me is: Did things get noticeable worse for you with v0.78? Because that's what cremor is reporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.duck View Post
HD7000 series will already be in production. We've been stuck at 40nm for years and the HD7000 will be a massive step to the 28nm node (i.e. expect a huge improvement in power efficiency/performance). Worth waiting for IMO.
I agree that the new 28nm GPUs (both ATI + NVidia) are probably worth waiting for at this point in time. Ok, we don't know exactly when which cards will be released. But I also expect a big jump in performance per watt. Which is one of the most important things for an HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Having a strange issue with 0.78. Double clicking m2ts's directly will play smooth as ever, but if I double click the index.bdmv or the mpls file then I get MASSIVE dropped frames, 3-5 a second. Going back to the previous version I have (0.75) and everything is perfect again.
Weird. Can you please try 0.76 and 0.77, just to find out which version exactly broke it for you? Also please try different splitters and decoders, just to give me more information. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
First off, great work so far on the madVR project, is there a way to donate for all your hard work?
Not until madVR v1.0 is released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
Ive got a question about deinterlacing and getting the 2x FPS deinterlacing (im such a fan of doubling framerates ;-))!

Ive got an ATI card (5770) and i got Vector Adaptive deinterlacing enabled in CCC. When i start a PAL DVD (interlaced) in madVR i dont get the deinterlacing in double frame rate. Ive tried setting Bob (which is a auto 2x FPS, right?), but this didnt work. I used to get the double framerate when using yadif 2x in ffdshow, but that doesnt work anymore either .
Are we talking movie content or native video content (e.g. music concerts or sports)? Double rate is the right deinterlacing method for native video content. For movies things are quite different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gser View Post
Yeh interlaced support seems to be a bit shaky e.g. MadVR upscales interlaced footage before the GPU deinterlaces it which screws up the picture.
Not true. Older madVR versions required you to deinterlace before sending the frames to madVR. With older madVR versions the GPU never deinterlaced at all. With v0.78 madVR performs deinterlacing via DXVA and scales afterwards, of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjd View Post
On a Windows XP machine, what would cause the display value (ctl+j first value) to fluctuate between 45-75hz causing playback issues.

The PC resolution is 1824x1016@50hz which is a Nvidia custom resolution for a 1920x1080p HDMI TV that allows for overscan.

When the PC first starts up the the display rate shown in MadVR is 50hz +/- 0.25% and playback is rock solid however after a while this then starts to vary like mad as described above.

Reclock during this time always says the refresh rate is 50hz as does the TV and the Nvidia driver/Windows. A reboot will always cure it, but i am trying to get to the bottom of this.

@madshi - where/how does MadVR get its refresh rate timing from please ?
Ouch, this is bad. madVR has a very complicated logic in it which reads the current VSync scanline from the GPU once per millisecond. Then it looks at all the collected scanline data and tries to do some very clever math to calculate the exact refresh rate. It seems that in your case the scanline data sometimes allows different interpretations (50Hz and 75Hz). I've never heard of such a problem before. This will be hard to fix. Does this occur in windowed and/or fullscreen exclusive mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I doubt madVR can do anything BUT bobbing.
madVR v0.77 and older versions didn't support deinterlacing *at all*. You were required to deinterlace before sending the video to madVR. madVR v0.78 does not deinterlace itself, it lets DXVA do it. And DXVA usually does better than using Bob.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote