View Single Post
Old 7th March 2006, 13:21   #682  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

@max-holz: I'm still wondering, you have one machine, I have two (different manufacturers and completely different types).. have you ever tried it on another machine or tried disabling HyperThreading? There's plenty of apps that act a bit weird on HT CPUs. Also, did the x264 pause ever work on 1.1 builds? I used a completely different suspension there.. I kept a thread that reads x264's output and suspended that thread. It should not make any difference (in fact I've been using MREs in my thesis project that runs on a Pocket PC because there never was any Thread.Suspend in the .NET CF - it works like a charm and a PDA architecture is a lot more sensible towards resource management and timing than a regular PC), but I'd still consider it interesting.

Also keep in mind that there is no way to suspend a process. Even W32 only has an API to suspend threads, and it's considered unsafe, so the best way to make an application stop dead in its tracks is trick it into not processing any further, which can often be achieved by simply stop reading its stdout and stderr. It does not always work, and some apps just continue running (mp4box will stop until it starts with the subs.. then it will just go on doing its thing.. but if you pause before, it actually pauses, mp4creator cannot be made to stop.. it simply goes on and on and on which is no surprise since it has essentially no output).

Quote:
it seems we're getting rid of a lot of stuff
If you could see me developing... I don't need that anymore so let's delete it, that is too static, let's scrap it.. methods generally are getting a lot smaller but unfortunately I also have to add quite a bit of new stuff. And getting from the codec to the ideal output type given the target container is going to be a major PITA.