View Single Post
Old 25th January 2019, 20:41   #54474  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
It isn't the fan it is the chokes or coils in the power delivery circuits, hence "coil whine".

The power circuits are contently turning off and on because they use PWM to control power output. Anytime this on/off cycle matches a resonate frequency or harmonic of the coils they can vibrate audibly. Almost any load can cause coil whine if you have coils that can vibrate audibly. The GPU core and memory also use different power circuits so it isn't surprising to have memory load (power draw) cause whine if it is one of those coils that is resonating.

Coil whine is not "part of NGU". NGU is simply a somewhat heavy, but not 100%, load on the card. I do not have any coil whine with NGU (or anything else) because the power circuitry on my card, or my previous one, does not resonate at any audible frequencies under any loads I have run so far. Don't blame NGU, blame whoever made your GPU for selecting chokes that can whine.

It isn't always the choke, the Core itself is susceptible to piezoelectric effects given the right frequency of operation.

Capacitors also, but usually only big ones.