View Single Post
Old 28th February 2013, 12:41   #7  |  Link
phate89

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemMotlow View Post
The original shows only the natural fine-grain of movie film, which was how it was created. Kill the film grain, kill the detail. That's the least of the video's problems. You're trying to filter seriously bad black levels. No wonder you get artifacts and no detail.

ED: If you use SmoothLevels or lower contrast to bring up the black levels, then work with a Rec709 HD color matrix, you'll see that the "grain" is chroma noise. I'd go for chroma cleaners (FFT3DFilter?) rather than hitting any excess grain first. The original looks as if darks are badly crushed to begin with, but you can probably save some dark detail by fixing levels first.

I'd suggest FFT3DFilter followed by TemporalDegrain, both at defaults. This will leave some film grain, which means you'll retain the detail that's "inside" the film grain. If you try to totally smooth the video to look like DV, it will appear plastic.
I didn't try yet to work on colors so i'm a newbie.
About color matrix, shouldn't be already rec709 from bd h264 sources?
And how should i use smoothlevels (or smoothadjust?) to get lower contrast?
I tried with only temporaldegrain that already prefilter with fft3dfilter and with default settings (fft3dfilter sigma=16 and mvdegrain 2) it cleans everything with a very washed out result...
phate89 is offline   Reply With Quote