View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2008, 04:44   #29  |  Link
Prettz
easily bamboozled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
Holy s**t Dark Shikari! This is great news.

And are those weird restrictions you refer to specific to Xvid, or do they exist in MPEG-4 ASP as a spec?
ASP I don't think was ever intended for the kind of high-quality videos Xvid initially allowed to be produced. And because of that, the ASP standard fought against the Xvid devs every step of the way towards increasing its quality. When you take a step back and look at the situation, it's not surprising that Xvid development hit an extremely flat plateau many years ago. It's not the Xvid developers' faults.

In the grand scheme of things, Advanced Simple Profile was a very transitory standard, and the current state of hardware has actually made ASP's initial purpose totally irrelevant, while the standard at the same time severely constrains any further development. Practically since 2004 there hasn't been anywhere to go except H.264.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didée View Post
GMC is "WTF" anyway - major effort, minor gain. There must be a reason GMC isn't in the spec's for AVC ...
Basically put, the MPEG-4 group learned from the early experimentation in ASP that GMC was a great idea that, unexpectedly, totally failed to produce results in practice. Didee, I know you were around during the earliest Xvid days to see this proved before your own eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranguvar View Post
Yeah, even in animes where there's lots of panning+zooming, I see very little benefit with GMC. And it breaks many, many standalones and portables. Same thing with QPel. Not enough benefit to break the chance that I will use the video on one of those later on.
I can't believe there are still standalone players that can't handle either GMC or QPel. Especially considering how little potential ASP has without QPel. Who are these people who own such incredibly old DVD players yet haven't thrown them in the trash yet?
Prettz is offline   Reply With Quote