View Single Post
Old 27th August 2003, 09:33   #1  |  Link
silver_cpu

Bizzarre authoring causes havoc in the ripping/demuxing process

Alright, I'm going to try to explain my problem here, and I hope that someone will recognise what's going on.

I just recently bought off of ebay (yeah, I know it's from malasia) a copy of "full metal panic," a rather good anime series. It's on four DVDs which play normally on both my computer and my set-top dvd player. However...

When I started up robot4rip, it did not detect any audio streams. I thought this odd, since as I said it played fine (with clean sound) on both of the players. I also tried various methods of ripping in DVD Decrypter, but nothing seems to capture the audio, which DVD2AVI reports as "linear PCM," similar to a CD. DVD Decrypter does detect the audio stream, and so I've tried to rip just that, using stream processing. Gives me this funky VOB file that can't be demuxed.

This is the first DVD in nearly two dozen that I haven't been able to rip, and this seems really odd to me. If anyone can figure out what's going on (and yeah I agree the chinese anime imports are total hack jobs), please let me know. If there's anything I can do to clarify, I will, just ask.

Thanks so much!

Edit: after some work, I'm able to use stream processing to get the video and audio onto my hdd, as a VOB file, and the VOB file plays fine if I run it through PowerDVD. However, even though DVD2AVI seems to detect the audio, it still won't demux it from the video when I create a project.

Edit 2: FWIW, here's the stream info as detected by DVD Decrypter:

0x20 - Subtitle - Chinese / LBA: 1547 / PTS: 00:00:04.170 / Delay: 3870ms
0x21 - Subtitle - English / LBA: 1550 / PTS: 00:00:04.170 / Delay: 3870ms
0xA0 - Audio - LPCM / 2ch / 48kHz / 16bit / Japanese / LBA: 121 / PTS: 00:00:00.467 / Delay: 166ms
0xE0 - Video - MPEG-2 / 720x480 (NTSC) / 4:3 / LBA: 1 / PTS: 00:00:00.300 / Delay: 0ms

Last edited by silver_cpu; 27th August 2003 at 09:47.
silver_cpu is offline   Reply With Quote