View Single Post
Old 18th January 2013, 09:56   #17008  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
They all do better than this.
I'm not sure about that. First of all: See my reply after the next quote. Furthermore: Your screenshot of the Cheese Slice test pattern does not show how proper motion adaptive deinterlacing with diagonal filtering looks like. Proper motion adaptive deinterlacing looks *much* better than that! You're putting way too much stock into the Cheese Slice tests. Furthermore, AMD's and NVidia's implementation of motion adaptive deinterlacing seems to be far from optimal, as far as I can see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonQ View Post
That sounds about right for motion adaptive deinterlacing but modern GPUs use vector adaptive deinterlacing, which is far better at reproducing the "original" full resolution progressive video than motion adaptive deinterlacing. Both the GTS250 and GT430 do some form of vector adaptive deinterlacing.

These examples are from the Cheese Slice test
Those Cheese Slice test patterns were the reason that I said that NVidia and ATI *might* do some sort of motion compensation. But I've just checked the Cheese Slice test patterns again, and I have to *totally* change my opinion. Actually, it seems everybody has been misinterpreting the Cheese Slice tests! Because, I've just found out that they're actually encoded as *FILM* with a 2:2 cadence. Just try it out: Play those Cheese Slice tests with madVR film mode. madVR will detect a 2:2 cadence for both 50i and 60i Cheese Slice tests. In the moment when motion starts, madVR will take a moment to switch onto the correct cadence, but once it has switched, playback is perfect. After that I've looked at the separate fields in the video stream, and really, every 2 fields belong together to form a progressive frame. So the Cheese Slice tests must be totally disregarded as *video* mode deinterlacing tests. Motion compensation wouldn't work at all for this test pattern because motion compensation expects movement between every field, which this test pattern does not have.

Edit: Btw, you can now use the 1080i50 Cheese Slice test patterns to check whether your GPU IVTC algorithm can handle PAL film content well... Compare it to madVR film mode. Use frame stepping and compare pixel by pixel. Or use the 1080i60 pattern to check how well your GPU IVTC can handle 2:2 cadences in 60i content. FWIW, madVR takes too long to switch to the correct cadence here. That's something I'll work on in the future.

Edit2: Disable the option "only look at pixels in the frame center" in the madVR settings, and madVR film mode will play all 1080i Cheese Slice test patterns with identical quality to the original progressive source, which is much better than anything AMD and NVidia seem to be able to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
And im paying for that already, this gpu drivers are making me crazy, madvr is not smooth at all, i disabled everything i found in CCC video section and still sometimes is good and smooth, others is not smooth...

Maybe is powerplay changing the clocks for power saving or other crap saving, how can i disable that waste of technology in CCC?? I think the problem is CCC, i can see the clocks go to 1000HZ and then drop to 300 and up and thats making madvr exclusive mode unstable
You see the clocks changing while video playback is running? That's pretty bad. I think there are some tweak tools which allow you to fix the clocks at a specific value, but I'm not sure which tools can do that. FWIW, I'm using a 7770 in my development PC and on win7 x64 playback is always smooth in fullscreen exclusive mode. So I'm not sure why you have problems.

Quote:
only have pulldown detection checked to auto, forcing smooth playback and thats all...
Please disable "forcing smooth playback". Nobody even knows what that does exactly.

Quote:
Ah, i have aero disabled. With aero enabled i only get errors, f&$/&$/ aero
You shouldn't get errors with Aero enabled. What kind of errors do you get?

Some suggestions:

(1) Try with software decoding (just in case you have DXVA decoding enabled).
(2) Try without Reclock.
(3) If you still have problems, make a screenshot of the OSD in the situation when the problem occurs. If we're talking about FSE mode, then maybe PrintScreen won't work? (Not sure). In that case write down numbers of all the queues in the moment when the problem occurs. Then we may be able to identify where the bottleneck is.
(4) The madVR OSD probably does report frame drops when the problem occurs?
(5) Are you playing progressive files or interlaced files? Try progressive files (e.g. Blu-Ray), because they're easier to play. Does the problem only occur with interlaced files, or with progressive files, too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
Okay thats clear, but how is that related to my problem?
Not at all. Nobody said it would... Film vs video has nothing to do with your problem.

Last edited by madshi; 18th January 2013 at 11:25.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote