View Single Post
Old 4th May 2010, 20:15   #15  |  Link
Ditto666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
If your playing off a computer, I'd decode to wav, fix your channels and encode to flac lossless. The size might even be a little smaller than dts depending on the content.
That would be very surprising to me if FLAC would be a smaller size, or even relatively similar. Plus, I can't help but really feel that it won't sound any bit the same. With DTS, the receiver would be doing all of the decoding directly. Even when I play it as a PCM signal, it ALREADY sounds different (worse).

Aside from all that though, I simply don't like FLAC. I always strongly disliked it for every reason possible. It could simply partially be due to the placebo effect, but still...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewebchat View Post
???
"In terms of SPEED, a Model T is the most superior, but in terms of HOW FAST IT IS, that's arguable..."
Well, those are two different things. It's not like "speed" vs. "how fast it is"... Imagine somebody's voice. It can sound very clearly and powerfully replicated. On the other hand, it can sound more muffled but more like the way the voice actually sounds of the singer.

I would make the analysis that DTS is a clearer sound while AC3 sounds like something of a lower bitrate (more muffled), relatively, while maintaining a more accurate representation of how whatever it was sounded like. Why I prefer DTS is because clarity feels more realistic over accuracy to me. It makes me feel more like I'm there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midzuki View Post
fact 1)

many ppl SAY, ac-3 sounds "more faithful to" the original uncompressed source;

fact 2)

many ppl SAY,
DTS sounds... <-- ( place your preferred superlative here )

my initial conclusion)

The "C.A." compression introduces some kind of
"pleasing artifacts",
much in the same way as the vacuum-tube amplifiers
usually generate an output which is considered "superior" by
certain self-entitled "audiophiles".

Just my 1.99 euros.
See comment above...

I don't disagree about AC3. I don't think your take on DTS is too accurate.

Thanks guys for trying to help, but it seems there's no way around DTS as the final outcome, not re-encoded. Aside from the size, even uncompressed wouldn't really do considering a different signal is being fed to the receiver which then uses a different decoding algorithm.

Last edited by Ditto666; 4th May 2010 at 20:19.
Ditto666 is offline   Reply With Quote