Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 18th September 2013, 11:18   #33  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanB View Post
It's a genuine pity that you could not resist the urge to move files around. You have a certain biased perspective (i.e it's Ultim's way only) that we did not share in so your restructuring just creates loss of reference without any personal benefit.
*Sigh* You still don't give any reason why the files should not be moved, or why the places I moved them to are the wrong ones.

And please don't tell me that I only accept my way. I see it quite the contrary. I have written down literally half a dozen arguments why the structure matters and why the new structure is better, and even told you that I'll use any other structure as long as there is a reason for it. On the other hand, you just tell me "No, I won't move any files" without giving any justification. And of the two of us, I'm the biased?

But ok, I guess this is the most I will get. So I'll try to approach it from a different perspective. You told us yourself a couple of posts back that you've been itching to move file too, but you resist. Why do you resist? It is not like there are other code bases depending on your CVS, except for AvisynthMT.

So maybe after consulting with SEt, we could do it according to your dream-structure. Because it sure doesn't have to be my structure, I'd just like it to change, because the current structure sure is bad right now.

Maybe some background why I find it important to change: My goal is not just for me to improve Avisynth, but to allow it for more people from the community to join the development too. Currently it is very hard for anyone to do so, because of multiple reasons, like: unorganized files, the outdated development environment (VS6), unreadable code, missing commenting, the huge amount of exceptions thrown, and the choice of CVS is not the most contributor-friendly either.

This is why my current changeset focuses on improving developer friendliness, so that we lower the barrier for entry for new contributors. I understand, that unfortunately this means changes for existing developers too, mostly for you. But if we manage to attract more developers over time, this will pay off. The project structure plays a large role here. When a newbie comes, and sees source .cpp file of the core being in the distrib folder, some parts of non-essential plugins in the core, others parts in completely unrelated directories, "include" directories containing source files etc., he'll be confused, and with every right!

So, IanB, can we maybe reorganize the files according to how you've been wanting to have them?