View Single Post
Old 8th November 2017, 23:25   #1276  |  Link
konikpolny

Quote:
OK for point 1. It is easy to implement the modification yourself (in case you are in a hurry).
Yes, I studied the SRTtoASS3D.tcl and already changed it before I wrote that post but the font name was more complicated so I decided to ask you.

Quote:
I'm not sure I can easily change the font name. Not because writing the code is difficult, but because usually the font type or name is not specified at all in the original SRT, and above all because if it is specified, I cannot be sure that the same font exists in the computer, TV or player that will be used to play the final MKV. Can I simply copy the font name from the SRT and insert it in the ASS, with the risk of specifying a font that the player can't use? Perhaps the player may even crash.
Well in my opinion if font change is allowed by SRT, and if the SRT file being converted have a font change tag, the conversion to ASS 3D should respect that. Otherwise the tool is limited and doesn't support SRT in full. The SRT to 3D ASS conversion itself should always be tested for specific use. We cannot or shouldn't try to have a foolproof tool at the expense of its functionality because it will never be foolproof. You already have a number of warnings to advise about the 'safe' settings.
So everything here is at the user's own risk.
Also, as you said the font name change is extremely rare, and the chances are if present it is probably put there in purpose, most probably, as in my case, by the very user who is doing the conversion. You cannot ignore it.
To ensure the user has more control over the formatting you could replace the existing "keep formatting" checkbox by or even better add the new checkboxes permitting for individual formatting from SRT: italics, bolds, underline, color, fontName.

You cannot be sure and to be honest it is not you who should worry if the font exists. It is the user's responsibility to make sure the conversion setting is what he/she wants. Most of the time, it is for personal use and should be tested, otherwise the 'keep formatting' box should be deselected or specific formatting removed from the originating SRT file. The fact is that if the font face change is present in the SRT file, the conversion needs to do something about it (one or the other). Currently it's doing nothing with it. If you are afraid it could crash the player you should normally remove it from the resulting ASS file (I vote for having a chance to choose). The funny thing about it is that the conversion leaves the tag untouched and my player Media Player Classic respects the original code written for SRT even if it's embedded in the ASS file and displays the font change correctly !

Quote:
Also, I don't understand why I should implement the font name change, but not the font size. Is it because the SRT format doesn't permit to change the font size? And anyway, the font size is dependent of the font, and the user should select the right size according to the "XML guide file" and the font he has selected in the GUI (as you can see when you use the Analyse the subtitle guide option). If the font (name or size) changes in the middle of the stream and if the resulting subtitle is too large, the 3D depth may not be suitable any more, because the subtitle may enter into the objects in the foreground.
I don't understand why you mention the font size. If it is not supported by SRT, the conversion cannot consider it as it cannot respect illegal tags. I never used the individual position from the guide file setting as it offers me the settings I don't personally like, and I know what I like and how I want it. If you have doubts about font name or size working unreliably you could disable font name change tag formatting support for guides (only) or better warn the user, or best, as I said earlier, have a checkbox for individual formatting types.

By the way I often come across subs in which dialogs in one sub picture are placed in different X position and without the usual hyphens to denote different persons talking. The XML/PNG guides from the project don't seem to honor that X position difference. I originally thought that was what having the guides were for.

Quote:
I agree that the warnings about the color depth or the Full stereoscopy should not be displayed each time BD3D2MK3D starts, but I can't change the dialog to add the option to not show it any more, because it's a standard system dialog that cannot be modified. I will try to disable the warnings when BD3D2MK3D starts, but that will not be an option. You will still see it if you manually change these options again.
That's OK, the most noticeable (and irritating) warning is the one upon the start. The others when I change a setting I don't mind so much .

Last edited by konikpolny; 8th November 2017 at 23:34.