View Single Post
Old 17th July 2015, 22:58   #31895  |  Link
har3inger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akeno View Post
Thanks for the information, har3inger. I didn't know about the display bitdepth. Is it true even though the iGPU settings state that the monitor is 32bit?

For chroma upscaling, is this true even for CG or anime material? I personally can't see any difference even with extremely colorful and simple anime material unless I push it up to something like 4x zoom.

Regarding smooth motion: a personal preference, but I prefer to use smooth motion with a 60hz display rather than switching the refresh rate to 24hz. The judder is just too obvious at 24hz and smooth motion alleviates it slightly. I suppose an alternative would be to use SVP but I don't know how resource intensive it would be.
8 bit display == 32 bit in Windows display. The 8 bit means 8 bits per color channel, for RGB, totaling 24. There's also an alpha (transparency) channel that also has 8 bits, adding up to 32 bit color. Yeah, it's a weird naming convention.

The chroma differences are more obvious with crisp edges in anime or CG works, but again, hard to discern unless you know exactly where in an image to be looking. A lot of chroma information is well obscured by the luma channel, as it's supposed to be. Better scaling generally shouldn't give you more vivid colors, but more accurate edges between colors and more accurate saturation in thin or small bits of color. Go with a recommended algorithm like jinc3, bicubic75AR or super-xbr 100 if you're in doubt.

24 hz material (or 23.976, difference should be unnoticeable) on a proper 24 hz display should be perfect and theoretically better than 60fps and smooth motion. If you're seeing judder, something is not working like you're expecting in your setup. May as well just stick with smooth motion because it's so amazing. The only artifact smooth motion introduces is very slightly increased ghosting from motion in a scene/camera pans.

You'll find a lot of the answers to questions here basically come down to "I dunno, play around with the settings and pick something you like best. After all, you're the only one you're deciding settings for" .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
Again, can someone help me with my AMD APU issue: The GPU clock does not increase while running madVR, thus I cannot higher quality scalers such as Jinc or resolution doubling
Force GPU clocks to max for mpchc through CCC if you can. You might need to rename the mpchc executable to something else for this to work (I had to--ATI is stupid and locks certain applications to lower power states or iGPU and takes away user control). You can also try turning off hardware decoding (DXVA) in LAV filters. This tends to lock clocks for AMD gpus to lower clocks as well. In general, GPU power states are entirely controlled by your OS and GPU driver settings and how they handle your video player (NOT madVR, which runs inside the vid player). There's likely nothing madVR can do to force certain GPU power states, so unfortunately, don't expect support here if troubleshooting doesn't work.

Last edited by har3inger; 17th July 2015 at 23:04.
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote