View Single Post
Old 12th September 2003, 01:52   #11  |  Link
Arkay

Personally I think the RIAA have been money grabbing for far too long.

It's their own stupid fault that they are now losing out because they were too stubborn and too "fixed" into their monopoly that they couldn't foresee what technology was about to do to them.
They have to face the fact now that "irrespective of the law", music is a freely available commodity. They could have controlled distibution... but they didn't, and it's too late now.

If they now want to get into the game then they have to turn the technology around to their benefit. By that I mean that if they put in the effort and produce something that is not currently available at a quality level that is not currently available then yes, they can sell it and yes, I will buy it, because they will be offering me something that I cannot get anywhere else. i.e. A product that I want.

What they currently have is a product that anyone can get, anywhere, anytime... For free. Anyone with an ounce of Sales and Marketing understanding recognises that it's all about supply and demand and at present the demand is being met without them. It's time they supplied something new. If it costs them 5 years of their profits to produce then so be it. It's only fair that they should have to spend some of the fat they've been skimming for so long.

You can't afford to stand still in the media industry with technology moving at the pace it does.

A business that fails to keep up is a business that fails. Sitting back and bleeting about it is all fine, but will get them no-where. They have to re-invent themselves and they have no idea how.

For me. If they can take my listening pleasure to new heights, then they'll have my interest, but listening to them carry on about copyright breach, righful ownership and a general "but it's not fair" attitude, is in my opinion, counter productive and plain stupid.

The reality is that if the RIAA disappeared tomorrow people would still create music and people would still listen to music (whether purchased legally or not)... They are really an un-necessary middle man. What they are upset about is the fact that the world has finally realised.

Cheers,
Arkay.
Arkay is offline   Reply With Quote