View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2004, 10:35   #615  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Dithering subject and music

When Kempfand and me were busy with the last 3 bidules, we discussed the need to keep the outcoming 6 channel file below the 2 GB border, to avoid too many problems with people who use FAT32 as filesystem.
We were also discussing 16 bit vs 24 bit and the need to normalize afterwards every channel .
We came to the conclusion that the outcoming file in 16 bits would be the most practical and introduced MDA's dither into the biduile.
We never discussed it with an eye on the past here at the forum.
The only reason was what I wrote above. It was absolutely not a matter of reading here and then use the advice to dither. We never discussed that !! [PERIOD !]

For those not technical I will also try to explain the usage of our latest voice-center bidule and what you can expect and it's shortcomings.

The bidule was made with the intention to use a voice only channel in the Center speaker. When you use music with effects that float from left to right (Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, Vangelis, Jean Michel Jarre, Kitaro, Alan Parsons Project to name a few), don't use this bidule. Normally the sound that floats, has a higher frequency than the voice of the singer. With the bidule, it tries to float from left to right, but it will not go through the Center. In the Center it's filtered out and thus you get a strange effect. Sonething like a hole in the middle !
The ideal music for this bidule is simpler music with no floating effects form left to right, but nevertheless with a good stereo effect and a singer in the middle. When you play the stereo and would disconnect the left speaker, you shouldn't hear anything from the left speaker except the voice, in the right speaker and vice versa.
Music that suits this is soft rock or a singer with only a few instruments and not too much percussion. On this kind of music the bidule can give excellent results. (Beatles, Country, Eagles...that kind of music).

When you chose a PF song to try it, you will get disappointed.
When you use the right song for the right bidule, you will get satisfying results. Perhaps with some finetuning of the settings of the Voxengo Stereo Touch and the gains, you can even improve.
When you don't get the result you want, drop us a line and perhaps we can advice on getting better results or............ use another bidule for the song you were trying ! The combination of the right song and the right bidule is what does the trick !!

Despite all negativism dropped here, I recall my original statement : Don't go by what others think or by theory, use your own ears. They are the best judges !
Try it and if you don't like the result, try it with another song !
We didn't work for more than 2 months on these bidules to publish something that doesn't work or give bad results only !
Kempfand and I work together for more than a year now and almost daily , we have new ideas and discuss them. Yes, sometimes we come up with an idea anyone else did too before. That's inevitable !
But ... we always make sure the endproduct that we publish here, is good. I think we build up a positive name the last years here, and we try to keep up with that by publishing only the good "inventions" and not the bad ones.
(as a matter of fact : only 3 out of 20 or so, finally made it !)

That someone is constantly trying to discredit our efforts, says more about that person than about us.

kind regards,

EoH

Last edited by Eye of Horus; 23rd June 2004 at 10:52.