View Single Post
Old 6th June 2011, 21:57   #8005  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Blu-Ray and PAL all have different primary color coordinates. The differences are *NOT* dealt with by just using the correct YCbCr -> RGB matrix. E.g. if you take the color "red: 200; blue: 20; green: 20", this color is supposed to result in a different wavelength being produced by your display for NTSC content than for PAL or Blu-Ray.

Practically that means, if you display an NTSC SD DVD you have to calibrate your display to BT.601 primaries. If you display a Blu-Ray, you have to calibrate your display to BT.709 primaries. If you display a PAL DVD, you have to calibrate your display to PAL primaries. If you don't do that, you'll get incorrect colors. All of this applies even if you convert YCbCr -> RGB with the correct matrices!
well, it's a bit more complicated I'm afraid...as Bluray's mastered in Europe do use the EBU gamut, and >90% of the BD's mastered in the US still use SMPTE-C(coz they're mastered on CRT's).

YCbPr encoding/decoding color matrixes:
Rec. ITU-R BT.601-5 => SD
Rec. ITU-R BT.709-4 => HD

Gamuts :
- Rec 709: HD primaries (in theory at least)
- SMPTE RP 145: SMPTE-C primaries (US/Japan SD/ HD) => used for NTSC and 90% of the Blu-Rays(confirmed by the CEO of the ISF)
- EBU Tech. 3213: EBU primaries (Europe SD/HD) => used for PAL/SECAM and european Blu-rays

To avoid confusion, it's widely acknowledged to use those terms:
- SMPTE-C / EBU / HDTV for gamuts.
- REC-601 / REC-709 for color matrixes.

I have to admit that I really don't follow what's going on w/ all this in >0.61, but that's no biggy...also, compressed LUT's don't seem to be supported (yet)?

So far 0.62 has been dead smooth for me, but the main problem I got w/ >0.49 was getting really random dropped frames from time to time in 89.91/96Hz(0.49 is an unstoppable train when that option -that was removed in >0.49- is checked)...so I could only confirm whether the problem is actually fixed after watching a lot of movies. I still wish that option was back, but well..

You also seem to imply that the new LUT's only accept TV levels? But it's a bit confusing atm...I do feed PC levels to mVR. Anyway, my current main focus is on smoothness....I'll wait for the colorimetry options to become a bit clearer

Quote:
fixed: removed nonsense 9bit/10bit display bitdepth options
I use VGA to a CRT...the CLUT works in 10bit(double-checked w/ ARGYLL), so can it be considered as a 10bit display? It's 8bit w/ a 10bit CLUT on top...VGA is indeed 30bit AFAIK.

Last edited by leeperry; 6th June 2011 at 22:11.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote