View Single Post
Old 4th March 2011, 09:02   #88  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantangobi View Post
I just got a new drive, and decided to scan all my old discs.
I've used Nero Speed Disc but I have no idea what to do with the results. I know that PIF rates are better the lower they are, and I know 0.08 is okay, according to some forum threads.
But that's as far as I know.

My discs PIF rating read between 0.3-0.7. Which is about 4-10x higher than what I know is okay. But how big a deal is this? Are these about ready to fail, or should they be good for a few years?

My new drive is burning the same spindle of dvds to 0.01 PIF. I'm using Verbatim media I bought off NewEgg two years ago.
There's no such value of 0.08 or whatever in testing the DVDRs. All values are integers. Since I'm lazy to write this by hand I refer to an older post.
Code:
PIE: Parity Inner Error
PIF: Parity Inner Failure
POE: Parity Outer Error
POF: Parity Outer Failure

If a PIE cannot be corrected by the drive it counts as a PIF.
If a PIF cannot be corrected by the drive it counts as a POE.
If a POE cannot be corrected by the drive it counts as a POF (also known as a read error).

The reference values you should be looking for for each of the above errors are determined by

Standard ECMA-338 - 80 mm (1,46 Gbytes per side) and 120 mm (4,70 Gbytes per side) DVD Re-recordable Disk (DVD-RW)
Standard ECMA-337 - Data Interchange on 120 mm and 80 mm Optical Disk using +RW Format - Capacity: 4,7 and 1,46 Gbytes per
Side (Recording speed up to 4X)
Standard ECMA-349 - Data Interchange on 120 mm and 80 mm Optical Disk using +R Format - Capacity: 4,7 and 1,46 Gbytes per Side (Recording speed up to 16X)
Standard ECMA-359 - 80 mm (1,46 Gbytes per side) and 120 mm (4,70 Gbytes per side) DVD Recordable Disk (DVD-R)

In summary the above standards say -

PI (PIE) - Should be less than Maximum 280 (also suggested by others - but not included in standard - PI (PIE) Total <10,000)
PIF - Should be less than Maximum 4 (also suggested by others - but not included in standard - PIF Total <500)
Jitter should be less than 8%.

Note -
i/- The above standards state - "A row of an ECC Block that has at least 1 byte in error constitutes a PI error. In any 8 consecutive ECC Blocks the total number of PI errors before correction shall not exceed 280."
A row is 182 bytes long where the last 10 bytes contain PI (Parity Inner) information. An ECC block is 208 rows long where the last 16 rows contains the PO (Parity Outer) information.

ii/- The sampling interval (1ECC = 1 ECC row at a time or 8ECC = 8 ECC rows at a time) is based on the chipset and the software polling the chipset. Some drives allow the sampling interval to be set (i.e. NEC burners).

Philips Nexperia chipset (used in BenQ/Philips/NuTech burners) use PIE rows/8ECC, PIF rows/8ECC
Mediatek chipset (used in LiteOn burners) can be polled down to PIF rows/1ECC (and summed PIE rows/8ECC)
NEC chipset (used in NEC burners) can be set
etc.

Does 1ECC = SUM-1 as referred to in PlexTools (does 8ECC = SUM-8)?
It is true that at 8ECC the PIF Maximum is 32 instead of 4

iii/- As mentioned above, PIFs can be corrected by the drive's Parity Outer (PO) function before they become POFs/read errors. However, PIFs can increase over time so although a high number of PIFs initially may not result in poor reading, it is not a good sign as more than a maximum of 4 PIFs can cause pausing and skipping on some standalone DVD players.

iv/- The above errors/failures do not refer to errors/failures on the disc. They refer to your particular drive's inability to read the disc. i.e. a POF on may exist for one particular disc in one drive but not another.

You can test for the above errors using - CDSpeed, DVDInfoPro, Plextools (see drive compatibility list for each package to determine which one is compatible with your drive). At present none of above produce reliable results with Pioneer drives.
Now, any disk that has more than 280 PIs per 8 consecutive blocks is defective. The same for a disk with more than 4 PIFs. This is what most people test, sometimes forgetting that the measurements should be done with a certain Philips optics at 1x, not with a NEC at 16x. In addition, jitter is an extremely important factor, very often forgotten because it's not measurable with all drives, and this needs a lower scanning speed (max. 2x). Any modern DVD drive can read DVDRs with say 500 or more PIs, but will execrably fail on jitter above 9-10% (most burned disks have around 8.x-9% jitter - this is why almost all burned disks fail on industrial testing machines like the AudioDEV or CAT). Compare this with 280 to 1664, or with 4 to 32, which are the allowed/maximum values for PI/PO....