View Single Post
Old 18th November 2008, 01:49   #13  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neillithan View Post
Encoders that support x264 are beginning to default to L5.1 and over the last several months, I've seen new movements to consider L5.1 the unrestricted compression settings realm. Hardware makers simply refuse to go the route of L5.1. You say it's because it will cost them thousands of dollars.

I'm going to go out on a limb when I say this, but why in gods name does it require a new chipset? CoreAVC plays L5.1. Libavcodec which is used in so many things plays everything. All you need is a CPU fast enough which doesn't need to be extravagant like 3.0 ghz like Microsoft would have you believe.
Again, you still don't understand the point of levels.

A level is a limit. If a stream actually maxed out the limits of level 5.1, your computer wouldn't play it--in fact, an 8-core Core 2 probably wouldn't play it either. Most of the encodes out there (pirated) are probably 4.1 or 4.0-compliant.

"Supporting 5.1" does not mean "playing streams that have the 5.1 flag." It means playing all streams up to the limits specified by 5.1, in realtime. For an example of such a stream, see this high resolution clip. Can your computer play it? I didn't think so.

I don't expect everyone to go out of their way to learn what levels mean. However, if you intend on discussing the topic, it is perfectly reasonable for others to expect you to spend 10 minutes in order to know what you're talking about before you put your hands to the keyboard.

I'm not going to bother with this anymore: you continue to ignore those who respond to you and insist that your preconceived notions are correct--that the spec is wrong instead. And, since it seems you cannot understand the concept of levels as specified in ITU-T H.264/AVC Annex A, I would strongly advise you to stop posting on the topic, since most of your posts just don't make sense due to the fact that you do not understand what levels mean.

Oh, and x264 autodetects the correct level for the encoding, so the point is moot anyways. It won't use level 5.1 unless you serve it some really insane resolution input.

P.S. I'm generally rather patient, but you managed to be annoying, rude, and insulting enough to convince me, one of the few people on this forum who has both the knowledge and cares enough to answer all these questions, to stop helping you in less than a dozen posts. Might I point out that this isn't an honor. But remember, the DS is a forgiving DS. In the end, even fools can be enlightened if they only acknowledge their foolishness and learn from their mistakes.

Last edited by Dark Shikari; 18th November 2008 at 02:14.
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote