View Single Post
Old 27th July 2016, 05:38   #3  |  Link
johnmeyer

I looked at the video you sent to me before I looked at the script and I guessed that MVTools2 (via Interframe in this case) was involved. Let's see if I understand your approach:

I assume you converted to an AVI in order to deal with the container format of the original video.

The autolevels was to make it bright enough to see what's going on. It looks like you are doing some sort of subtraction of a blurred lower-res version of the video from the original video. I'm not sure what effect that produces and will have to try it out when I get back to my editing computer tomorrow.

After that it looks like you double the framerate and select the interpolated frames. You soften and blur those and then merge them with various softened versions of the original.

There is no doubt, from the sample you sent to me, that it does reduce the GOP artifacts but I won't know tomorrow how much violence has been done to the details. Despite the soft fuzzy nature of the video below the fog, there is still a lot of detail once the drone breaks through the fog and shows the mountains in the distance against the midnight sun. I don't want that to become too soft. However, if your technique works, I can mask your version with the original, letting the original video of the mountains show through the mask. I use Sony Vegas, and it is trivial to create a mask to let the mountains from the original video overlay your corrected version, and then keyframe that mask as the drone makes its ascent.

I think you're on the right track with this and I'll work with it tomorrow. Thanks!

I'm still very much open to other ideas and suggestions. This is actually a somewhat common problem that I've seen many times in other people's videos, so finding a good solution would benefit a lot of people other than just me.
johnmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote