View Single Post
Old 25th August 2011, 22:56   #87  |  Link
yesgrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Which means that I am now being bottlenecked by the limited capacity of the .3dlut file standard, even though my code is perfectly capable of processing something irregular like 10-bit LUTs (as opposed to 8, 16 or 32).
That "limited" capacity you referred was intentional.

The benefit of allowing bit depths other than those would be only a lower 3DLUT file size. We think that a 96 MB (8/16 3DLUT) is a pretty manageable size according to current computer standards, so we favoured a simpler file format structure. In addition to that, I performed some precision tests that showed which input/output bit depth combinations would be useful. For an 8 bit input bit depth using more than 16 bit output is not worth it. The 32 FP was added for future use, when/if we decide to use 9/32 3DLUT files (1.5 GB), but before that we need to have graphic cards with a minimum of 2 GB ram to contain the 3DLUT...

Furthermore, 32 bit FP was preferred over 32 bit integer because the precision is almost the same but 32 FP is much more compressible than 32 bit integer.
yesgrey is offline   Reply With Quote