View Single Post
Old 17th October 2003, 19:24   #28  |  Link
specise_8472

Re: Yeah, but...

Quote:
Originally posted by ultimatebilly

Maybe THEY will in a not so far future only build and support standalone players with IEEE.1394 (firewire) output, that is heavily encrypted, only works for one TV (includes some authentification mechanism like PGP or something) and so on...

DigitalVHS already does this - Tapes/Disks are encrypted, and only in conjunction with a HDTV can they be played. The TV has the decryption code built into it. And some pretty advanced handshaking tales place before playing.

To me FADE is like the NETFLICK format. Every DVD/CD degrades as it is read. All you do is change the dye to degrade as the laser reads it. Very useful for Rental shops - don't bother taking the movie back, as it will crap out within 3-4 plays.

If the protection is in the Command Sequence Programming then IFO Edit should take care of that. Of course they could add new commands (Similar protection to Games AKA bad sectors etc) and then force punters to buy new players that support these new commands - or they do not play everything in old players. (Then again, a BIOS update from player makers should add the new codes). I would see the MPAA supporting this as it is win win for them. People buy the new players (MPAA gets royalties on these as they licensed the code), or people go to the pictures to see movie (They still win), or people wait for TV viewing (with adverts - for the new players- inserted.)

Just my ideas.