View Single Post
Old 28th June 2009, 19:02   #7  |  Link
Dark Shikari
x264 developer

There is a specific type of danger with this type of patch. Let me describe a similar situation to explain.

Let's say you have a patch that speeds up --ref 16 by 50%. Everyone is very happy; clearly this is a great improvement. Then, someone goes and tests and finds that you can get the same speedup for the same quality cost simply by setting --ref 6 instead of 16, and that the patch is a complete waste of time.

The big possible problem with this I imagine is that the places it will do worst are the few places where tons of B-frames are actually useful--and the places it will do best is the places where they aren't useful, in other words, it will do nothing at all.

You need to test on some contrived input cases, e.g. linear fades created in Avisynth and placed after an ordinary sequence or similar (with no scenecut in between), in order to make sure your algorithm isn't going to react badly.

Finally, I don't like the idea of making b-adapt 2 too suboptimal because the idea of b-adapt 2 to begin with was to serve as a reference representing the best possible B-frame decision given a certain metric (slicetype_frame_cost).
Dark Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote