View Single Post
Old 27th June 2005, 10:31   #15  |  Link
Professional Lemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software
OK, we know that the download speed is far from ideal according to some posts. But this is fine, because we only need something that will do about 4 times the bit-rate that you encode with. With x264 and many codecs, that is about 10 Mbits/sec. If the max bandwidth is 40 or 50 Mbits/sec, according to some reports, that's gonna be enough.

I can see a really big problem with this. Until the GPU speeds start coming anywhere near the CPU speeds, the GPU just physically cannot keep up with the pace of the CPU. As a result, the CPU encoding speed is throttled significantly to allow the GPU to keep up. So unless GPU speeds are going to magically hike to 3 GHz in the next 6 months, I rather think that we're out of options when it comes to encoding with the GPU.
Huh? You lost me somewhere. Raw processing power on the GPU is already higher than that of a CPU (when comparing those instructions a GPU is optimized for).

Are you measuring speed or clock frequency here? They are NOT the same!

And a third point: Your claim that a couply Mbit/s are enough download bandwith is only true if you do everything including bitstream encapsulation on the GPU. The current flexibility of the Shaders is not fit for this task. Therefore you have to download intermediate representations which are more bandwidth hungry and finish the encoding job on the CPU for the time being.

bis besser,
Tobias