View Single Post
Old 21st May 2004, 19:01   #8  |  Link
Sir Didymus

@Xuivo.
I normally use 2 passes including the .vaf creation.

I realy do not want to give hints or suggestion of any type to people (like the ones browsing this forum) strongly concerned to the video quality.

It is just that the subject is very serious and it has been answered many, many times by people that are by sure much more skilled and expert than myself. It is just that sometimes I read about some one who does five, nine, twelve passes...

At the end I decided that 2 passes are enough for my eyes (and please consider that I am working with professional video equipments since... ok since when my pc was an apple II...).

But why to ask on a subject you can check by yourself ?
There is a little experiment I suggest you do, if you have a little time to spend on the matter: take the DVD you like more. You rebuild it 2 times. The first one with 2 passes. The second with 3 passes. Take one of the vob of the movie. Demux it with vobedit (by cell id, in order to work just with little streams), demux again one of the cells in order to obtain a m2v of reasonable size. Do the same to the second vob encoded with 3 passes. Try to play and to replay many times the two m2v one after the other (or even simultaneously, if you have a good video board in your pc it works sometimes I use DVD2AVI, that supports multiple instances of the program running at the same time). This way I can see very well the difference among streams encoded using different encoders (and this is the reason I want to use CCE) but I normally can not see the difference in encodes produced using 2 and 3 passes (TOTAL passes, including vaf creation...).

Ok I can believe that if you use paint shop pro for looking at the differences on specific single frames, you can see the difference. What I mean is that your eyes will not see any difference if you play the movie normally (that is the way I want to use for seeing the movies...).

You prefere 3 passes because you really want to get the best, and you are very concerned about quality ? Ok. Up to you...

But (imho, and it is really just an opinion) four passes or more are just a waste of electricity, disk and cpu time.

Cheers
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote