View Single Post
Old 26th March 2011, 22:46   #2  |  Link
billsantos

I at least managed to find some confirmation. I opened the BD in Nero and saw that four audio tracks could be selected. The default was...

1) DTS, 2 channel 4000- 5000 kbps (varied as movie played) from DTS Master Audio 8 channels stream

and then when I selected 2), I got Dolby Digital, 2 channels, 192 kbps

3) and 4) were just the DD channels in other languages.

Now I have some questions:

1) If I listen and switch from 1) to 2), I hear no difference in fidelity. Shouldn't I hear something especially if the kbps is dropping that much?

2) Eac3to must be saving to a default of 24 bit, 48 Khz, 1152 kbps no matter what since I am specifying wavs as output. My guess is that the actual files are as above and retain those properties even though saved as default (?)

3) I am not very impressed with these DTS Master Audio tracks, if this is in fact what I am hearing. I have an old analog VHS of the same thing I have on BD and the audio is much better on the high end (treble) of the VHS. If these DTS Master Audio tracks are supposed to be bit-to-bit copies from the original master tapes, then there must be some sort of processing going on before it reaches the BD. My guess is some sort of noise filtering to clean up the tracks (perhaps DD even though these are the DTS Master Audio tracks), but the result is quite lossy on the top end. If so, I'm sorry to see this type of processing going on as the high end is compromised quite a bit.

Anyone else notice this, or just me? BD based movies sound "cleaner", but not necessarily better fidelity. Just to see if I could reach the analog equivalent of the top end of the VHS, I used some software EQ. It took two +20 db 10 Khz high pass stacked filters to start reaching the equivalent of the analog fidelity!
billsantos is offline   Reply With Quote