View Single Post
Old 21st August 2012, 20:05   #12  |  Link
clancy688

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmac698 View Post
I think the only way to test is to use a special test video with brightness levels of 0,1,2,3 and 4, then look closely at the tv with the brightness turned up, to see if you can find 2 or 5 grey bars.
It shouldn't be hard to make the test, all the info you need is in the wiki entry.
Thanks, but unfortunately, I don't have any idea of encoding / creating videos.

All I can tell you is that the TV is telling me "1080p24 10bit" when connected to the PC (and 1080p24 12bit when connected to my BD-Player).

But another thing I just stumbled upon today:

In my video driver's setting, there are four different settings under "pixel format":

YCbCr 4:4:4
YCbCr 4:2:2
RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format Studio (limited RGB)
RGB 4:4:4 Pixel Format PC Standard (full RBG)

The first one was initially selected, but since every video's decoded into RGB (afaik...?) I set it to RGB 4:4:4 full.
But now there were many details lost in black scenes. I tested with a real life video where a man was sitting in a dim room - his black jacket was basically a black blot. ^^;
So I went into my TV's settings and experimented. And under "HDMI Dynamic Range" I was successful. It was set on "Auto", other options were "limited" and "full". I changed it on "full" and suddenly I could see all the previous hidden details on the still black (not grey-black) jacket.

So now I'm curious - why? ^^
(And is it correct to use RGB instead of YCbCr for the TV?)
clancy688 is offline   Reply With Quote