View Single Post
Old 12th January 2019, 21:57   #54257  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
I switch to 12 bit. After turning off dithering for testing and comparing I could see better graduation in the greyscale ramp, it's minor but it's a free improvement so I'll take it, just test for yourself how your screen handles it.
This is a bad methodology. Leave on dithering when doing all comparisons, you would never watch with dithering off so don't turn it off when testing.

Dithering is often misunderstood, it is not hiding errors, it is how to do the math correctly when viewing/listening to digitally sampled sources.

You can use test patterns with dithering off when trying to understand what your display's internal processing is doing but do not make extrapolations from those tests like you did here. You assume there is a "free improvement" from a test that was not representative of the image you would actually see when using 8 or 12 bit. How does that tell you anything? I get why we all do these overly simply tests but we need to be very careful when interpreting, or disseminating, the results. There can be a lot of misinformation spread based on inappropriate testing methodology.