View Single Post
Old 27th May 2004, 13:05   #487  |  Link
ursamtl

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Horus
A few IMHO's wouldn't hurt !!

Ever thought of that it can be yourself ???

I have had friends listening here to the Ambi mix of War of the Worlds. 6 out of 7 : I didn't know this was available in surround.
The 7th reacted like you : I don't hear it !

OK, as you probably know : I did a listening test. I took 10 stereo songs with all kind of styles of music. I converted these 10 songs with 10 different methods to surround. I made a poll online where people could fill in which version they liked the most. I didn't say before the poll what the used methods were.
End result : 70 % preferred the conversions with Ambisonics !

So obviously a. you're doing something wrong (BTW did you convert the stereo first to 32 bits ?) or b. you just don't (want to ?) hear it.

But keeping on saying how thrash Ambisonics is without adding a few "IMHO" gives me indeed the impression you're behaving like a troll. Eespecially since your own published bidule didn't give 3 people a good result. And believe me : if it was better than anyting already published, people sure would let it know here !

So come up with something better (your MM bidule was definitely worse). If not, than please stop all this whining and groaning !
Thanks.

EoH
EoH, I don't care if your first language isn't English, the tone of this message is extremely offensive. I have never attacked you personally, I've simply expressed disappointment with the method of 5.1 upmixing that you advocate. Your response is to attack me personally and characterize my comments as "whining and groaning." This is extremely childish.

I repeat what I said in my earlier post, if Ambisonics is so great, then why are there so many alternatives presented in this thread? Why did you yourself say there's lots of work to do? If Ambisonics is the great method you pretend, then surely your work is done. Why did you say you were working on ways to improve separation? Surely if Ambisonics were so wonderful, then there would be no need to "improve" anything!

Obviously, if my bidule is so bad, then so are the AC3Filter and Matrix Mixer on which it is based. Those seem to be quite popular. As well, my bidule's front generation is a greatly simplified version of the LCR Gerzon method that kempfand posted. His method is actually much better than mine in generating a solid soundstage (and far better than encoding traditional stereo signals with Ambisonics), but I didn't include it in my bidule because I wanted to honestly present it as what I said it was, an interpretation of the MatrixMixer DirectX filter. I repeat what I said in an earlier post: I never said it was the answer, just that I got better results for my listening taste with it than with your method. Someone asked me to post it, so I did. You seem to treat this whole thread as if it were some kind of competition and if someone comes along and criticizes Ambisonics, you pounce on them as if they were attacking you personally.

I don't think this is the first time I've seen you berate others in threads on the Doom9 forum. It's extremely unpleasant to read and it certainly adds nothing to the spirit of community present here. Please restrict yourself to a discussion of the methods and stop the name calling and personal attacks.