View Single Post
Old 27th February 2007, 21:58   #15  |  Link
moon1234

This is less about "where" the potentially infringing code is hosted and more about where the person who "owns" the code lives. You could host the files on a server in sealand, but if you live in the US and the code is found to violate the DMCA, you still sunk. They have to find you, but there is always a way to do that.

I am sure this is more strong arm tactics. ISPs, especially sourceforge, don't want anything to do with even potential lawsuits. If the person is anonymous and can guarantee that they can not be tracked (use of offshore proxies 100% of the time in a country that does not have any connection or diplomatic relations with the US or the the EU) then you can pretty much have open communications.

Unfortunatly in todays world the US is no longer about the free exchange of ideas and more about big corporations using the legal system in place of a good DRM system.

All they would have needed to do was come up with a simple flashing system for the firmware on their devices so that in the case of a comprimised device code, a simple reflash of the device would fix the problem.

In any case ideas and methods should never be supressed in a free and open market. The free exchange of ideas is what made much of corporate america today. Now the media giants want to supress the free flow of ideas to maintain an outdated mode of collecting royalties.

I wish you luck in finding a place to host the code. I fear your only option to have "freedom" with this type of research is to host in a country that many of the free countries consider their enemies. My how far we have fallen.
moon1234 is offline   Reply With Quote