View Single Post
Old 23rd June 2008, 19:57   #10  |  Link
DigitAl56K

Leica, we're working on DivX 7. Project Rémoulade is part of this effort.

I also agree with Ranguvar and Dark Shikari, you should definitely look at x264! It is a very good encoder and you can use the streams it creates with the DivX H.264 Decoder betas. DivX ASP (4,5,6) still has it's place - it's extraordinarily fast to encode these days even on high quality settings, playback requirements are extremely light, and it's supported by hundreds of millions of devices - even low powered devices like mobile phones (check out the LG Secret and the Viewty).

@Dark Shikari: I think when it comes to encoders options are always nice. x264 is a very feature rich and capable encoder. DivX may release an encoder that is more specifically designed to work around hardware compatibility, as you mention, with perhaps easier configuration (we're still working out the details). I would like to make sure x264 can produce streams compliant to our profiles, and hopefully having more than one encoder will drive each to improve upon the other. Certainly we aren't going to release an encoder for the purposes of competing with x264, if anything my "dream" outcome is that DivX brings to the table a standard that is interoperable across a very wide range of devices, just as we did for ASP, and that we give you guys any help or tools you might need to take advantage of that platform (admittedly, we could have done better on this front in past). End-users ideally have the option of using their preferred encoder, whichever that is, in many applications.

Side: DivX acquired MainConcept last year. The DivX H.264 codec will leverage work from both teams.

Of course, now we are quite far off-topic. Apologies to the moderators! Since the original topic was answered already hopefully you don't mind too much.

Last edited by DigitAl56K; 23rd June 2008 at 20:02.
DigitAl56K is offline   Reply With Quote