View Single Post
Old 4th January 2018, 11:08   #25  |  Link
Kef71

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipje View Post
Do note that they're talking about taking the full reference signal (between basically 0 and 10.000 nits) and display it on a normal HDR screen (which for instance can take a maximum of 1.000 nits).
Agreed, HDR10 supports up to 4,000 nits peak brightness, with a current 1,000 nit peak brightness target, 10-bit color depth and capable of displaying everything in the Rec.2020 color space.

Quote:
That being said, in figure 20 they show multiple lines for target displays with different brightness capabilities, and they show a blue line for a screen with 100 nits max, which is a nice SDR target.
Yep, agreed.

Quote:
I'm no math expert, so not really looking at that, but just the text and the graphs basically describe what looks like a pretty normal 'knee' to map the values? Which I boil down in my mind to 'they are recommending to clip signals lower than a certain threshold, clip signals higher than a certain threshold, and use a s-curve for the left-over signal so it looks nice with rolled-off shadows and rolled-off highlights on the target display'. Am I wrong?
AFAIK, you are correct in your assumption.

Quote:
This will not really show any detail that might be present in the signal of 1000 nits or brighter, it just rolls it off and compresses it in the upper region. Algorithms like Hable are ment to recover some of those details, right?
It is an official recommendation not tied to any specific hardware so yes, there are compromises to be made. Remember that the scale is logarithmic so most of the information maps 1:1 from UHD to SDR. Just need to compress a little bit in the upper and lower regions to get a picture as close as possible to UHD. Hable, Reinhard, Mobius are just slightly different shapes of this s-curve as far as I know.

edit: UHD to SDR blu-ray most likely follow this recommendation.

Last edited by Kef71; 4th January 2018 at 11:15.
Kef71 is offline   Reply With Quote