View Single Post
Old 17th December 2010, 19:55   #14  |  Link
Zerofool
VR, 3D & HDR UHD fan

I really dislike this whole 3D-hate all over the world, all that talk about "dorky glasses".
About five-six years ago, when a friend of mine showed me what Stereo-3D gaming is, I was blown away by the depth of the effect. And then again, I decided to wait for better display technologies, like high-quality ones without glasses (what most people are doing today - waiting for such better tech), it was shutter glasses + CRT monitor back then, but time passed and nothing happened and by the looks of it, such tech was very far off in the future (and it still is), so two years ago I also started playing all games in S3D, at first with anaglyph glasses and soon after that I got the same cheap combo as my friend, and since than I'm only gaming in S3D and I'm never going back to regular 3D (mono). It's just different experience, it's like you've been blind with one eye up to that point. And I don't care how I look wearing the glasses (and my huge headphones for that matter) when gaming/watching, I'm not on a fashion show or something...

The thing about 3D movies is that when it's done right, it's great. But most of the movies these days are either 2D->3D converts, or shot by people which doesn't know what they're doing (with very few exceptions, of course), or simply animated movies . In time, cinematographers will learn to use 3D as great instrument, special effect of it's own, and then nobody will ever want to watch 2D movies again (well, there will always be 2D-only genres, but the profitable ones will be in 3D ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
There's a difference: 1080p doesn't give me a migraine upon watching it for 5 minutes.
Everybody feels that way in the beginning (me included, for the first few days, but maybe in a lesser form), but in time they'll be able to watch 3D for hours without break. Well, at least most of them - there are some people that can't see in 3D at all (not only movies, but in real life as well), the brains of others just can't buy the illusion, and it's a torture for them to watch it. Serious eyesight issues can also hurt the experience, and it's often recommended to such people not to watch 3D. But most important is the quality of the display (in terms of crosstalk (a.k.a. stereo ghosting)), and the 3D-quality of the content you're watching, these can greatly ruin the experience, and lead to eye-strain and headaches.

So I hope all things related to MVC, stereo-format flags with different containers and so on (aside from the BluRay world) will be settled soon and encoder/decoder and player developers can concentrate on implementing support for them (if they wished to).

Last edited by Zerofool; 17th December 2010 at 19:58.
Zerofool is offline   Reply With Quote