View Single Post
Old 28th May 2004, 14:38   #501  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ursamtl
[B]Oops, sorry. I posted just the text without using the http:// button on the forum interface because I didn't want to repost a link to a file that might potentially be corrupted. I didn't notice that the forum software automatically converted it to a link.
No need to apologize : perhaps it gives some extra visitors :-)

Quote:
Well, did you try the dipole without moving your speakers? I found the results were better with my speakers at +-25°. At +-10° there was very little sense of width to the sound at all.
Yep ! I try out every bidule :-)

Quote:

I look forward to the new bidules. As for the 32 bit conversion, yes, I have done this a couple of time for comparison sake and it does provide a marginally cleaner sound especially in high-frequency details such as cymbals, etc., but I didn't notice any appreciable difference in terms of the Ambisonic effect. I'm lucky in that, for one thing, I can monitor my mixes in real time on my PC so I don't always burn DTS CDs. In addition, my DVD player reads CDRWs so when I do write burn DTS CDs, they're temporary tests to see how the sound is transferring to my 5.1 system. Once I settle upon an upmix method that gives me the results I seek, I'll do some proper full CDs and start with 32-bit files. I still haven't found a satisfactory answer concerning the whole question of dithering. It's generally agreed that going from 32-bit to 16-bit with no dithering reduces sound quality, but so far the Surcode documentation hasn't mentioned whether it downsamples to 16-bit and if it does so, does it use dithering. All it says it that the program accepts 16- or 32-bit files for input. The CD redbook spec is 16-bit, but it's not clear that a DVD player recognizing a CD but playing a DD or DTS wave file does so only if the file is 16-bit.

By the way, yes, your earlier post did clear things up between us. I'm at work and don't have time for a detailed reply, but yes, there are surely cultural nuances to our communication that can cause misunderstandings. For example, I once worked in an office with some Swiss and German personnel who were working on a contract for the Canadian govt. here. They would get into discussions that seemed to me like they were ready to haul out weapons and kill each other, yet walk out of the office at the end of the day smiling at each other! Here I was the poor Canadian fellow shocked into thinking I was about to witness murder! These folks told me this was simply their European temperament and nothing I should be concerned about. Perhaps we Canucks are just too polite! Plus, having worked with them for awhile I found I was adopting some of their attitude.

Have a great weekend!
Ursa

LOL !!! How recognizable !!!

Even some of my friends in the USA (for over 8 years now) still have problems in a discussion with me :-) They always think I'm angry or too sharp.

Have a good (productive !) weekend too !

kind regards,

EoH