View Single Post
Old 7th April 2013, 17:55   #18233  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
23/24p film content has a low framerate by nature, so some judder is expected, especially during fast motion scenes. It also depends on how each scene was filmed, though. E.g. if you film with more motion blur, you can get motion relatively smooth even with 23/24p. But if you want sharp motion, you get judder.

So what you need to find out is whether the judder you're seeing is the 23/24p judder caused by the low framerate of the source, or whether it's judder caused by a movie framerate / display refresh rate mismatch. madVR's FRC only fixes movie framerate / display refrash rate mismatches. It does not even try to remove judder that is encoded in the source.

Does smooth motion FRC seem to work well on the madTestPattern 23p/24p source patterns for you?
I meant to say that Smooth Motion works well for 23/24p film content on my 60 Hz display, but while playing a telecined 29.97 fps content with 3:2 cadence apparently it does not work properly. I think madVR applies FRC using 29.97 fps even when IVTC is forced on for such files. Instead, madVR should decimate the video to 23/24p first and then apply FRC 24p to 60 Hz. Is Smooth Motion working fine on your system for telecined files when madVR's IVTC is forced on (while using 60 Hz refresh rate)?
omarank is online now   Reply With Quote