View Single Post
Old 15th June 2010, 17:07   #325  |  Link
Koutsoubos

I was responding to mp3coder's observation that with a progressive source we could choose to "Encode as 50i with 4% speedup (this is the 2:2 pulldown)".

It may seem like splitting hairs, but what I was driving at is whether that would entail interlacing the progressive source and causing the MPEG stream to be hard-encoded at 50i (i.e. picture structure = field)

If, when fed a truly progressive source, HCEnc or any other EN-coder splits the frame into two fields, it would be hard 50i encoding and then we'd probably have a case where "2:2 pulldown" is an apt description.

Of course, interlacing a progressive source is at the EN-coder level is programmmatically simple. But should we do it? Is it done this way? Perhaps. I don't know.

Right now it seems that HCenc (or any other encoder) does not do that to a truly progressive source. Instead the frames are encoded (25fps nominally) and it is the job of the DE-coder to interlace the output auto-magically. There is no "pulldown", in the strict sense of the term, by the EN-coder.

And even if such an option were available, I still think it would be cleaner to encode as progressive stream.

Any thoughts?
Koutsoubos is offline   Reply With Quote