View Single Post
Old 17th January 2017, 19:02   #1046  |  Link
feisty2
I'm Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
Hello. A newbie type question, however worth asking since I find I am in need of guidance.

I wonder if you could clarify whether and when KNLMeansCL is appropriate to use as a plain denoiser by itself ? I noticed it's been used in SMDegrain however I am unclear if KNLMeansCL is appropriate for use as a denoiser in its own right, for example on a range of OTA TV captures for moderate denoising a la mdegrain1/2/3. Any advice or links to comparisons somewhere ?

Another objective is to attempt to identify GPU (eg OpenCL) based filters for the times when a fast workflow is OK, ie where some improved quality output is hoped for but not paramount and speed is valued. (Tools = ffmpeg and x264, portable vapoursynth_x64, win10_x64.)
KNLMeansCL itself is an "appropriate" and very high quality (theoretically better quality than motion compensation based filters like MDeGrain since motion compensation matches macroblocks in temporal dimension only and NLMeans does that in both spatial and temporal dimensions) denoiser, it has been misused to do other things thanks to folks like me, but that doesn't mean it has lost its original purpose, to work as a plain denoiser!
feisty2 is offline   Reply With Quote