View Single Post
Old 10th October 2019, 21:42   #7103  |  Link
MeteorRain
結城有紀

Quote:
Originally Posted by excellentswordfight View Post
And tbh, I dont think x265 is better parallelized then x264, at default settings its actually worse for resolutions under 4k cause of the large CU size. And both x264 and x265 have a hard time to scale beyond 24'ish threads for 1080p at slower settings.

4770k have AVX2 to, if I'm not mistaken it was introduced with haswell. I own an 4790k and have some experience with 9900, I would say that there is about an 2,5x performance difference for x265.
x264 used to suffer from high thread count causing reduction of encoding quality. Later the threading is greatly improved and people are no longer limited to the (more optimized option of) 8 - 12 threads and can go beyond without much loss of quality.

Haswell is the first generation that introduced AVX2. However the performance of AVX2 is not consistent across multiple generations. The manufacturer is constantly improving instruction speed, and AVX2 on Haswell is slower than AVX2 on Skylake or later generations by some percent. That's why I said the performance difference on AVX2 needs to be taken into consideration.
Neo AviSynth+ filters - F3KDB | FFT3D | DFTTest | MiniDeen | Temporal Median
MeteorRain is offline   Reply With Quote