View Single Post
Old 8th August 2002, 22:28   #4  |  Link
slk001

You've run up against the "infamous" 20th Cent-Fox deliberate-error-in-VMG_PGC_3 trap. Here's how to defeat it.

Look for a PGC in VIDEO_TS.IFO that loops back upon itself (I almost always find it in PGC_3). You will find there a POST COMMAND that says, "Link to PGC3", or an infinite loop (if not in 3, then search all the PGCs until you find one where it loops back to itself).

When you have found it, go to the PREVIOUS PGC (in my cases, I would have gone to PGC2). There you will find two commands where one will branch you to PGC4 (or jump around the error) and another that will branch you to PGC3 (or the PGC where your error was found). Change the PGC3 branch to PGC4. This gets you to the start of the movie.

In the VTS .IFO where the main movie resides (your VTS_01_0.IFO), you will find in it a PGC with a command that will jump to VMG_PGC_3 (or, yours). Just NOP this branch command. Save all of your .IFOs and now the movie will play.

The screen you are seeing is the first VOB ID in VIDEO_TS.VOB (load this .VOB in Vobrator to view your error screen). What I think is happening, is that the DVD Spec requires error handling to be different on a set top DVD than on a computer. Maybe a set top simply ignores an error, while a computer is required to jump to the first .VOB (which in our case, is the VIDEO_TS.VOB), where it is caught in an infinite loop of displaying the splash screen. I have also seen other error messages (I think yours is just a deliberate "smoke screen").

NOTE: The commands I have used may not be the proper syntax, because I am doing this off the top of my head.
slk001 is offline   Reply With Quote