View Single Post
Old 30th January 2008, 05:30   #620  |  Link
Yoshiyuki Blade
Novice x264 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shikari View Post
AQ 1.0 is too strong. Use the recommended settings: strength 0.5, sensitivity 13, qcomp 1.
I've tried several different levels of AQ strength and sensitivity, but I still can't seem to reproduce the same quality as I did with v0.45 whether its in CRF mode or 2-pass (anime). High strength and high sensitivity is the closest I've gotten, but the overall visual quality turns out so bad, it's not a worthwhile tradeoff anymore. With v0.45 I used strength 1.0, sensitivity 20, and qcomp 0.6, and the improvement in dark areas was definitely worth the cost of some overall quality. It didn't look nearly as bad as it does now.

Using the current recommended settings (strength 0.5, sensitivity 13-15, qcomp 1), the quality is good, but dark areas don't get addressed very well if at all.

At the moment, nothing looks remotely satisfying unless I really up the bitrates (about 500 megabytes for 25-minute footage), in which case it will look good across the board. Perhaps this version of AQ is more optimized for real-life footage?

However, before I feel confident on my experiences, I'm gonna have to do another encode with v0.45. Be back in like 10 hours with my experiences lol .
Yoshiyuki Blade is offline   Reply With Quote