Thread: RV9-EHQ
View Single Post
Old 10th June 2003, 15:11   #25  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Re customPacketSize : the reason this is currently needed for the codec, is to over-ride Producer's request to set it to 1352. Later this will change, and Producer will set it correctly for high bitrate VBR streams meant for download, and it will also be a Producer option. But for now, please use 16000 in the codecProperties, not 16380 (long story, this is due to a bug in old renderers, and we would like old players/renderers to work..)

Re useThreads : this is no longer needed. If you have a dual CPU, you could set useThreads to 0, but there is no advantage, it will just run slower, so this is good only for debug purposes. With regards to hyper-threaded P4s : I detect this, and actually disable threading, due to cache contention causing slightly lower performance with two codec threads on hyper-threaded systems. True dual CPU systems rock though, almost twice the speed of single CPU systems.

Re Max startup latency : Maybe I will add a codec registry hack later, but the problem is the codec is too good at staying at the average bitrate, and it would rarely, if ever fill a large buffer. Perhaps only in 1-pass where it is not as good at keeping the average bitrate (yes, 1-pass sometimes actually looks better for short clips, because it spends more bits, filling the latency buffer to a higher level, but then also creating a higher bitrate larger file). We are planning to improve 2-pass VBR, so maybe there will be improvements happening in this area.