View Single Post
Old 28th May 2004, 12:27   #494  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Re: feed & queries

Quote:
Originally posted by pelmen
first off a big thanks to all the people here who have worked hard on this whole 2.0 to 5.1 issue. i've been playing around with several of the posted bidules and have settled on the SAD5.1 for now as being the better of the bunch for my tastes.

1)
i'm certainly no expert when it comes to audio though but i was wondering if it was possible somehow to integrate a way of making use of dolby surround (and i think pro logic) if it exists in a 2.0 stream? from my understanding both dolby surround and prologic were multichannel signals mixed into a 2.0 format and re-expanded by the amp at the playback stage. i have a dolby surround test CD which i use to test the bidules (mostly using the channel identifier to make sure i ended up with all 6 channels going to the correct speakers and by far the result after processing isn't as good as the original. so i don't know if its even possible or not to detect if any such surround encoding is already existing in the 2.0 WAV file and once identified be able to make use of that knowledge to get an even cleaner 5.1 seperation?

I am not 100% sure, but wouldn't Softencode give that information when you load in a WAV with integrated Dolby ? Worth to try !

Quote:

2)
also it seems the main use for people in this thread is for turning music into 5.1. do people feel the same bidules are just as good for tv/movie audio or would a bidule layout specific for non-music sources provide a better end result?
It's just a matter of trying ! Only you can decide what sounds the best for what you want. I can imagine you want more on the LFE when you're dealing with non-music. Just experiment and try to find what you like most. There is no general rule, unfortunately !

Quote:
3)
my setup is a computer with sound audigy and cambridge soundworks 5.1 amp/speakers and i connect my dvd players audio to the same amp. with the audigy card it plays 2.0 sources to all 5.1 channels already (but i'd like to put things onto DVDR so i can do other work with my computer). does anyone know how the bidule approach compares to the audigy? or even making use of the audigy hardware somehow if it is better to do hardware processing into 6 channel wav files?
See the above answer ! Just try it and compare the results and use what you like most !
I found out that a simple listening test says more than the opinion or theory of others :-)

Quote:
4)
ideally what is the end goal people here are aiming to achieve? complete sound seperation with for example voices staying in the centre channel instead of "leakage" into all channels.
Simple : the end goal is to get the best surround possible from stereo. How ? That is so difficult to answer, because the original stereo more and more decides which bidule you should use to get the best result. There are recordings where we can make a perfect (almost !) separation 5.1 from with indeed a voice only in the center speaker. But there are also recording that will sound better with Ambisonics or with Ambiophonics. It's too difficult to give a general answer to which bidule to use.
A lot of people are very enthusiastic about the SAD51inBidule we made. I like it very much on electronical music, but not on music with singers ! It's also a matter of taste and personal preferences.

Quote:
its a great thread so far, the only problems i've ever come across have been related to 2/4GB filesize limitations with various apps. i'm certainly happy with the current results when compared to boring old stereo but i hope it'll be possible to improve and get results closer to proper 5.1 source results

thx
LOL !!! Define proper !!! LOL !!!

kind regards,

EoH