View Single Post
Old 17th May 2018, 00:26   #50873  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown shoes View Post
I'd be interested to hear what other elements of those profiles you no longer apply?

I already use soften edges and grain with NGU sharp.

Are you saying you no longer NGU sharp for chroma?
You don't have to take my word for it, as everyone will have a different opinion on what looks best.

NGU Anti-Alias, NGU Sharp and Reconstruction are likely the best chroma upscalers, but this is pretty difficult to test with anything besides chroma upscaling test patterns. So, I use NGU Sharp blindly.

I don't really do anything special besides that. I use soften edges 1 with NGU Sharp when luma doubling. Add grain can add noticeable noise to solid black textures, so I don't use it, but it probably helps as much as it harms.

Neural network scalers are supposed to be able to find small detail like eyelashes and hair textures and reconstruct them. I find NGU Sharp does the best job of finding and enhancing these small details, with NGU Anti-Alias in second place. I haven't seen any examples where NGU Standard is better than NGU Sharp or NGU Anti-Alias. And NGU Soft is too soft compared to NGU Anti-Alias.

I toggle the free variant of RCA with certain content with a keyboard. Everything goes back to the defaults when the video is over. If a source is too soft, I enable a profile with image enhancements because some content is just shot that way. Again, everything reverts to its defaults when the video is over.

That's really about it. I did look up banding in 4K UHD and found some technical information about the combined efficiency of HEVC, a 10-bit master and high bitrates in improving compression and concluded that banding isn't as common as 8-bit Blu-ray. I have only seen limited 4K content on my 1080p display, but guess that banding in 4K UHD is probably uncommon.

Last edited by Warner306; 17th May 2018 at 00:32.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote