View Single Post
Old 31st December 2010, 02:31   #12868  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@ clsid and STaRGaZeR:

A first verbose reply from Tom Keller. Brief translation:

Due to a rather slow capturing system, he needs a both fast and easily cuttable (keyframe only) and high quality video format as VfW codec. So ffdshow's MJPEG is the optimum for his case because:
  • it is fast
  • it is free of charge
  • it provides acceptably high quality
  • and even though ffdshow is "just a VfW wrapper for ffmpeg", he needs exactly that
  • Xvid is no substitute because it is neither fast enough on his system nor freely cuttable (or who would try to set it up for 0 P-frames?)
  • FFV1 is no substitute because even though it compresses tightly for a lossless codec and can provide I-frames only, it is too slow on his system
  • Huffyuv is no substitute because although it is fast enough and even lossless, the result is way too big

Recommendations like "buy bigger harddisks" or "buy a faster PC" are easy. But not every user is able to do that. If they were, then ffdshow would need no encoder at all, and we could use "lossless x264vfw" for capturing.

So much about Tom's opinion. Now I have at least one specific person I can point at.
It was hard, huh? It would have been inmediate if you would have proposed the poll in a less biased and more informative tone. 6 "Yes, absolutely - must stay inside!" explanations left for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
@STaRGaZeR
If you want and have time, you could remove 2-pass mode for MJPEG. I assume that those who use MJPEG use it as an intermediate format during capturing.
Since it was easy, I've done it in r3709. 2 pass and 1 pass bitrate are no longer available for MJPEG.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote