View Single Post
Old 2nd July 2004, 16:06   #649  |  Link
ursamtl

Re: Experiments

Quote:
Originally posted by Tantulus
Well, I compared DPL from my receiver, SAD5.1 with an ambient hall impulse response, the Voice-Non Center.Bidule, the Preservation_5_Speaker_v2_REC_.bidule, using a segment of the last movement of Beethoven's Ninth. I have to agree with Ursamtl that the Preservation_5v2_REc_.bidule is impressive. It even brought out to an extent the natural ambience of the concert hall in addition to filling the room as Ursamtl pointed out. For grins I added the ambient hall Impulse Response to the Preservation bidule (nod to Kempfand)and I was blown away (perhaps too much!) But again, it still all comes down to the engineering of the recording and other factors. For instance, I found that by switching the surround speakers from dipole, to direct or to bipole, I could refine the results of the above methods to my taste. Scattering the surround output produces a better feeling of space with all the above methods but particularly with the Gerzon method. So far I would vote for Preservation_5v2_REC.bidule number one followed by, at least, the Voice-Non Center/Instrumental for choral/orchestral works.

However, SAD5.1 was the winner for a solo instrument backed up by a consort. So at the risk of being redundant, I think the best approach is to really familarize oneself with what each bidle has to offer then listen carefully to the original CD to get a feeling for how it is produced and only then apply the most appropriate surround method.

Thanks everyone for enriching my experience with music!
Scott
Hi Scott,

Nice to hear your experiments are going well. Your discussion of the bipole surrounds reminded me of some reading I did recently regarding THX certification. Part of that standard calls for such an approach for the surrounds.

Stay tuned because if you liked the bidules so far in this thread, you're going to love what I'm working on now! I should finish testing and writing a guide in another week or two. Ironically, I was testing it on the final movement of Beethoven's 9th yesterday as well as on a John Williams recording of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez. Talk about filling a room with sound!

Steve.