View Single Post
Old 21st July 2002, 09:53   #12  |  Link
Eye of Horus
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Eye of Horus

Tomorrow I will start trying to make a script or batchfile to automate the process in Cooledit..... (never done that, so cannot promise anything !)
Well, I tried and tried and tried :-(

There are a view problems in Cooledit. I will write them here and also edit the guide. It is important to follow these line to be sure you will get good results !

1. A script in Cooledit is useless ! You still have to be at your PC because you have to press "Enter" or "OK" for quite a few times. So that's not a real solution....

2. IMPORTANT !!!!
Cooledit has some major problems with the clipboards.
a. When you are in one of the first steps in the guide, you have to put the UJH-x.wav in the WINDOWS clipboard. Do NOT use one of the Cooledit clipboards !!
b. When you are finished with the UJH-x part, then close Cooledit and restart the program. Make sure to clipboard is set to Windows and is EMPTY !
You have to do this, because I found out that when you copy to the clipboard, the second time you do this, the first content isn't always correctly removed. And I couldn't find an "Empty Clipboard" function. So that's why it is absolutely necessary to restart CE !
c. When you try to do several steps at once, like Convolve with clipboard, then immediatly conversing to MONO 32 bit and then conversing to Stereo 16 bit. When you have done this for the W-wav...no problem ! But then you must Save the file and restart CE.
d. When you have done X-wav....Save too ! And....restart.
e. When you want to combine W and X, make completely sure that when you are copying X-wav to the clipboard, that you have one of CE's clipboards and NOT Windows' clipboard.

A tip : when you want to convert a whole cd, it is fastest when you load in all the wavs and one of the UJH-.wavx, and do the steps involved with all the files. Then save them all, restart CE and to the next step...... This way it saves you a lot of restarts and reloads... !!!

Another thing is the order of the WAV files as given in the DD5.1 encoder : Leave it as it is. ! It looks unnatural in the graphics in the DD5.1 screen, but it is NOT !!

When you use Bsplit to make five separate MONO wavs from the 5_streams_wav, you end up with lets say track01_01.wav, track01_2.wav, track01_3.wav, track01_4.wav and track01_5.wav.
This is the correct order for using them in Surcode to make a DTS :

Left Front : 01-1
Right Front : 01-3
Center : 01-2
LFE : left blank
Left Surround : 01-04
Right Surround : 01-5

Yesterday I did Water Colours and Seen One Earth from Pete Bardens.
And.... the results were SUPERB !
Full natural surround in DTS ! When you really want to hear what this whole method is about : use the DTS encoder instead of the DD5.1 encoder ! The sound is just more...fresh, clear, bright .

In the beginning some people asked if it really is worth the troubles and time. I can really say : YES ! After experiencing that sound, I understand more what I did read on the Internet about it !

Anyone else tried it yet ?

Last point : someone asked about the microphones to record. Well, there are quite some UJH encoded cd's available. As you can read in the article (link in the "guide") the writer quotes a review of "Stereotomy" by Alan Parsons. This is one of the UHJ encoded cd's. This one sounds excellent when you listen to it in stereo.And those who have read the article : all the channel information you need for whatever number of channels is already in that file ! So when you do the complete process on this CD, you get the ultimate result. Full perfect surround which throws a huge shadow on whatever other surround system !!!!!

I am not an expert on this, I only believe my ears ! They don't lie to me......
I found a list with a few titles online and will do a search if they are still available .

Well, we still need a bit more automated process. Is there any way (DSPguru?) to put the two DOS programs from the Ambisonics package and the Bsplit program in one ? So all the steps from thesong.wxyz file to 5 separate MONO wav files ??

I will adjust the guide later........ this was long eough for now :-)

best wishes....... and please share some reviews !!

Eye of Horus

Last edited by Eye of Horus; 21st July 2002 at 10:01.