View Single Post
Old 19th May 2004, 09:48   #12  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Hey, I have a 27" 4:3 TV set

For my analog capture test the average bitrate was ~1500kbps, resolution 704x576. Jawor's matrix gave a lower Q in CCE, I don't remember the exact values but it was a bit lower than 70 whereas the notch matrix gave a bit over 70. Jawor's matrix reduces the noise level quite nicely as even with Avisynth filters it's very hard to get a clean result without destroying the details completely. That's the reason why I favor it for encoding the captured clips. The noise in the source will keep the DCT blocks away at those low-lit areas of the image.

For the DVD test the avg bitrate was around 2200kbps, resolution 704x576 and Q somewhere between 20 and 30. To my eyes, the notch matrix gave a slightly sharper image. Like I said, the low-lit areas looked better with the notch matrix and that's the main reason why it is my choice for DVD sources.

Have you done any tests regarding this "dancing DCT blocks in low-lit areas" with Bach's matrix?

And yes, OPV was used in both cases with a little help from QCCE (where are the new versions?)