View Single Post
Old 28th January 2021, 12:22   #799  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by feisty2 View Post
in the case of avisynth, there're many possible paths how your interest may evolve. one may wonder why applying a certain avisynth filter produces certain "effects" -> image processing algorithms -> low level computer vision -> applied machine learning / information theory -> theoretical machine learning / information geometry -> … and the chain goes on. you may have obtained a PhD in a seemingly unrelated field long before your interest stabilizes.
True. In my case, Avisynth led me to understand more of what was behind encoding, so working in the frequency domain, working with transforms, so Z-Transform, Laplace Transform, Fourier Transform, Discrete Cosine Transform, Wavelet Transform, Hadamard Transform, Karnhunen-Loeve Transform etc. The more I knew about this world, the more I wanted to know, so my passion shifted from merely applying filters in Avisynth to Linear Algebra to Control Systems to Digital Signal Processing, but always related to encoding. I mean, in the end, it's my day-by-day job, it's my passion and it's what I wanted to do when I began studying at university and what I'm still doing (and what I plan to keep doing in the future). I'm still doing a master degree in Computer Science Engineering while I'm working for Sky (in Europe, unlike in the U.S, you don't "pick" master degree vs PhD, you first get the master degree, THEN you get your PhD) and I'm studying lots of unrelated things which are indeed interesting and might turn out to be useful, but that I never thought I would have been studying. I mean, I'm never going to use Verilog or VHDL or design rugged devices, directly control FPGAs etc. I mean, it was interesting, but not what I wanted to see and study...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinterf View Post
Having this new GT1030 toy made the progress a bit quicker than having no CUDA at all I have made Nekopanda's CUDA things work with my actual Avisynth+ (work in progress). KTGMC is 4 timer quicker than the similarly parameterized QTGMC, though their output is not identical. Note that KTGMC is not a replacement for QTGMC, it has much less working parameters. So stay tuned.
That's really cool!

Last edited by FranceBB; 28th January 2021 at 12:25.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote